A Titanic exhibition was in Charlotte for a couple of months over the summer. Andy and I had hoped to get up there and see it while it was in town. Luckily, after months of conflicting schedules, we were finally able to go last week. I wasn't sure what to expect other than we were going to see some replicated items and original items from the ship and that it should take about an hour to go through.
To be honest, my expectations weren't too high. I figured anything that only took an hour to go through wouldn't have a lot of items to peruse. In fact, I was actually thinking of skipping the exhibit altogether as we live far enough north now, that traveling into downtown is a colossal pain-in-the-ass (I'm talking about you, I77), the ticket prices were a little bit more than I really wanted to spend for an hour long exhibit, and I wasn't sure if the exhibit was going to be hokey.
I am so glad that we went! Andy and I had such a fun time We ended up taking two hours to go through the whole thing as there was so much information provided and exhibits to see. Everything from dishware, to furniture, to replica rooms, photographs and letters - there was just so much to see. Each person was given a card with information about one of the passengers on the ship that included things like name, age, origin of country, marital and class status, where he/she slept/roomed, and a brief description of his/her life prior to boarding Titanic. At the end of the exhibit you got to see if your person survived the shipwreck or whether you perished. (Andy's person ended up dying on the ship while my person survived.)
There was a simulated iceberg at one part of the tour that you could go up and touch. This was to replicate the temperature of the water at the time the Titanic sank. How anyone survived in the ocean while waiting to be rescued is a miracle because that water was so unbearably cold.
It was so neat to see so many authentic items from the ship as well as the recreated items. The quality of workman ship of the furniture on the ship was out of this world and the intricate patterns of the first- and second-class dishware was incredible. (Because, of course, none of the classes can eat on the same dishware. Insert eyeroll here.) Third class didn't get any fancy dishware, or really fancy anything, but I did learn that the passengers themselves were happy with the ship as the accommodations for second and third class was (supposedly) superb to other steamers of the time.
As for the history of the ship and the longer bio's of some of its passengers, Andy and I ate that information up. (Which is probably why it took us twice as long to get through the exhibit than your average visitor.) In hindsight, there were several signs that maybe this voyage was doomed from the get-go, but I suppose that is a given in any tragic situation.
Overall, I am so glad that we went to this exhibit. I don't know where it is headed next, but if it comes to your city, I recommend you go see it. I think the best part of the whole thing though was spending time with Andy.
P.S. I would have taken so many more pics but didn't realize that we were allowed to do so until we were almost entirely through the exhibit.
| A first class parlor. |
No comments:
Post a Comment